Tuesday, December 20, 2011

BC–AD by U. A Fanthorpe, 'ChristmasPoems'

This was the moment when Before

Turned into After, and the future's

Uninvented timekeepers presented arms.

This was the moment when nothing

Happened. Only dull peace

Sprawled boringly over the earth.

This was the moment when even energetic Romans

Could find nothing better to do

Than counting heads in remote provinces.

And this was the moment

When a few farm workers and three

Members of an obscure Persian sect

Walked haphazard by starlight straight

Into the kingdom of heaven.

4 Comments:

Anonymous see drum said...

amazing how simple it all is. Obscure Persian Sect. And I believe. It happened

and changed my life, forever. Celebrate and enjoy. be well John and family.

Holidays 2011. Accept my goodwill and peace be with you.

3:49 pm  
Anonymous sue h said...

I liked this one, John.

7:55 pm  
Anonymous John Pendrey said...

She wrote unusual little poems for her friends at Christmas. It needs a special strength of character to see things from a different point of view. Here is a cracker.

I am Joseph, carpenter,
Of David’s kingly line,
I wanted an heir; discovered
My wife’s son wasn’t mine.

I am an obstinate lover,
Loved Mary for better or worse.
Wouldn’t stop loving when I found
Someone Else came first.

Mine was the likeness I hoped for
When the first-born man-child came.
But nothing of him was me. I couldn’t
Even choose his name.

I am Joseph, who wanted
To teach my own boy how to live.
My lesson to my foster son:
Endure. Love. Give.

U.A. Fanthorpe, Christmas Poems (Enitharmon/Peterloo 2002)

10:27 am  
Anonymous see drum said...

wow. and yes. I relate with the idea: bigger in life. beyond me.

thanks for the cracker John. Love is. And Celebrate in the coming days.

With family and newborns. exciting.

4:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home