Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Journey by Hilary Llewellyn–Williams



 
Setting out again, taking the road again

that leads to some new city

    Adocentyn

or, for the time, Geneva,  Avignon,

Toulouse or fabled London; setting out

in the dark on this purse full of whispers –

go there, take this, speak to that man

who bears the sign we know of – hurriedly

fastening the points of my long hose

     seeming natural to me now



abandoning these streets, these squares

these clever, spiced gardens, in my heart

      a vow to return

and a lifting spirit, a joy

taking flight, driving me on.

I shall wheel round and round

this world like a Moon, like a comet

       leaving a fiery trail



Never resting until I have seen

the City of Light accomplished

and all my friends safely installed therein

gathered from here and there. With this dream

I fill my spare moments waiting in the rain

for promised horses, or a weary trudge

across town after an absent-minded fool:

      all the loose, empty hours



between me and my destination. Tonight

the sky is plunged thick with stars

my wild companions, hurtling with me

to an unknown end; which does not matter –

only the journey matters. I breath

clean mountain air: a vision

of Nola brushes past. Adocentyn.

Perfect place, place that never was

nor shall be ever, compels me.

No end, then, to the dizzy Universe,

       no end to my journeying.



In ‘Hummadruz’ 1987
and picture By Victor Schauberger

7 Comments:

Anonymous see drum said...

it is fun to read these things John puts in place for me and others. Good writing. compelling. Challenges my mind.

Good to see you John. And thanks.

10:26 pm  
Anonymous Virgilio Gavia said...

dreams, imaginings...they will bring you to many places, both seen and unseen, real and imaginary...

4:00 am  
Anonymous John Pendrey said...

I wish I had the talent and application to write such good poems. I apologise for not yet putting in the time and effort. Is it that simple?

Hilary's poem partly refers back to the travel of the fabulous Italian poet Giordano Bruno who spent a couple of years in Britain (1583-6). He had links with, Elizabeth I, Welsh magician John Dee, Scottish disciple Dicson and others and was a big influence on non-Establishment thought and perhaps Shakespeare. He had lots of radical ideas including the idea that the Poet was able to change and shape events as well as reflect on them, ideas for which the christian inquisition in Rome burned him to death.

8:38 am  
Anonymous see drum said...

Hello John and am thinking: it is fairly recent that people are being left to express. Scientists and Poets and well most, are just now finding a universal voice. There are places today, even now and still, where you keep your thoughts and research to yourself. And so I feel privileged in time to have a blog and write the non-sense I do. Burned at the stake, emmmm. makes me think, how much freedom I have, and yes I am thankful.

12:10 pm  
Anonymous see drum said...

john said: I am a curious person.

my reply: John lives in a world that touches many aspects of what people do

I had to leave home, roam to come up with the experiences that come natural to you.

Burned at the stake. Writer commitment and stake. Not long ago an Iranian Canadian was sentenced to death, in absentia. Never can go home. Because he was a blogger. Guess your Giordano Bruno article/poem alerted me to the fact, still happens today, so be careful which borders you cross and which passport you carry.

thanks for visiting my site. Not done with thinking about FB and what is out there, that is more than just money moving towards anothers pocket.

be well. You have me thinking. As is often the case.

1:02 am  
Anonymous John Pendrey said...

Like you I feel happily free. We can say almost what we like in our countries. In UK we have some political correctness legislation but I feel I can ignor it with little legal consequence.

The point I'd like to make is that we can say what we like but only until we are a threat to government. I do like crossing borders and we do need to consider what we say. Blogging and media cross some borders and individuals should consider what they export.

9:13 am  
Anonymous see drum said...

John said: to the earth and my wonderful children, grand children and all children. Creation celebration.

And I was thinking: when I wrote this blog, I had agenda and intent.

seems like it was accomplished when others realize, children, grandchildren and what they have at home. Was my intent: reminding myself how precious life is: from the very young to the very old. thanks John.

10:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home